Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Attention Snapping



Today I was walking back from a trip to the Junction to get some 'small' things... a couple of trays of eggs, some avocados, and a few other things for the house. All this is heavy and burdensome, but it was such a nice day I decided to walk back instead of paying for a taxi.

As you walk back to our house on the Saint Augustine College campus, you get some great views of the local landscape. At least, as long as you lift up your eyes to see. I paused for a moment at one of these places to shift the bags I was carrying, and then it hit me: I am living in Africa, and I have the joy and privilege of living out my Christian life as an overseas missionary. I get to participate in this community, share its troubles and benefits, and teach part of the next generation of this beautiful country.

With the day-to-day grind here, and the entirely frustrating cross-cultural experiences we have, it is easy to lose our focus on why we are here and what we are doing. Then, someone says something or you see something and your attention is snapped back.

I like those moments, where you can pause on the road and remember that what we are blessed to be able to do what we are doing. It is a blessing to be helping the Church here in Cameroon, and it is a blessing to get to know the culture of the Nso' people and of Cameroon and Africa in general.

-Eric

Not the view from the road to Junction, but you get the idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment